Instagram

Friday, June 29, 2012

Cafe Giulia


Mustard, mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato & shredded beetroot

Paul says…

Our friends at The Sydney Magazine rated the Café Giulia’s burger as their number 1 burger, so we had to try it. 

The patty on this burger is generous. It’s not the best quality meat, but a few herbs are mixed in to add a little flavour. I can only recall one other burger with mustard. The mayonnaise combined with the mustard to create a mild and pleasant flavour. 

This is a good burger, but I can’t agree with the Sydney Magazine and put it at the top of my list. A better quality meat patty or the added bacon and egg (like the Sydney Mag review) would push this burger closer to the top.  Having said that, at $10.90 it is good value compared to other burgers out there, and the addition of the bacon and egg will only set you back an extra $1.

Paul’s score: 4/5


David our guest reviewer says…

It's easy to miss Cafe Giulia when you're driving down Abercrombie St. Plenty of people obviously have the hang of it, though and as i stepped over the very classy metal sign laid into the concrete floor  i was met by a wall of people. They were digging into delicious-looking food from the open kitchen that stretches half the length of this cafe.
 The friendly staff brought five burgers to our table in quick time. The plain burger ($10.90) is served on a plate with an unnecessary leaf salad on the side. The burger is heavy in the hand and very attractive. The tomato was cut about 8mm thick - well over my tolerance of 5mm maximum. Some people say eating a good burger is like making love to a beautiful woman... at Cafe Giulia it is this way. I almost felt like there should be a lace curtain around the table so I could have some quite time: just me and the burger. The burger is quite big and prone to leakage. Not like you need a shower afterwards but it must be handled with care. The flavours are good with perhaps the dominant one being mustard (something missing in too many burgers I have tried). The beef pattie was a good one, big, but could have tasted beefier. After it was all over i felt satisfied and not guilty at all. 
On the side we had some very good chips that screamed of home made by mum. Hand cut and with the peel on, just the way it should be. They could have been crunchier but they are still better than most around. The coffee (long black) was good but not great. The flavour was excellent but the crema was a let down. No curtain required.
David’s score: 3.5 out of 5.

Pete says…
Today we visited Café Giulia in Chippendale where I ordered their ‘Hamburger’ with grilled beef, lettuce, cheese, marinated beetroot and mustard.
The pattie was juicy but not to the extent that it made the buns soggy and the size of the pattie was good.
Something I thought they could have added was some tomato sauce just to balance the mustard; apart from that the burger was quite enjoyable, considering I divulged it in no time at all!
I also felt that it was value for money for $10.90.
Pete’s Score: 4/5



Kim says…

I wasn’t all that impressed with my burger, I ordered my burger with the extra egg & bacon (extra $1). It was probably a big mistake because it just made my burger all the harder to eat, especially with all the sauce & juice from the burger dripping down my hands. I’m just glad Paul didn’t take that particular moment to snap a photo!

I will say it was a good burger, definitely better than most places – but I just felt there was something missing. It could have been the layout of the burger, with so much sauce dripping everywhere I was more focused on not getting food on my clothes than the taste. Or maybe it was the high expectations I had in coming here. 
After reading the review in The Sydney Magazine I was eager to try this burger.But I guess like all things when you expect too much you often get disappointed.

If you’re in the area, I say give it a try. However, if you’re not, don’t go out of your way.

My score: 3.5 out of 5 

Until next time! 

Kimzy 

Cafe Giulia
92 Abercrombie St, Chippendale NSW

http://www.cafegiulia.com/


Café Giulia on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. WORST EVER SERVICE

    I work nearby. A colleague bought me a coffee earlier this morning. In the third sip I had a blowfly in my mouth. It wasn't fully intact anymore and I still had something caught in my throat - likely a wing. I went to the cafe with the fly on the lid of my cup and approached a bald headed man (the owner? chef?), who was talking to a woman with some sort of hair piece. It went like this:

    Me: A colleague just bought me this coffee, and it had a fly in it.
    Woman: That's good protein.
    (Me, clearly unimpressed)
    Man: Would you like another coffee?
    Me: That fly isn't intact and I've got something in my throat.
    Man: If you want to make something of this, you need to tell me! (assumed I wanted to take some sort of action)
    Me: All I wanted was an apology.
    Man: Sorry (finally), we don't do it on purpose and it is summer (it's not actually). Would you like a cold drink to wash out your throat?
    Me: Forget it mate. (I walked out).
    I hadn't gone in with any specific intentions. In any case certainly didn't expect that response.
    Like many people in my office who've had a bad experience there, will be completely boycotting it. Waste of time, terrible staff, and I don't rate the food.

    ReplyDelete