Instagram

Friday, May 18, 2012

BURGERFUEL

172 King Street Newtown

18 May, 2012

Paul & Pete had…

Bastard ($12.90)

1/3 pound ground beef, melted cheese, bacon, beetroot, mango, avocado, salad, relish, aioli

Paul says...


As soon as I walked in the door I was greeted by a poster promoting a burger containing two hash browns. I immediately had thoughts of Hungry Jack’s, but I kept an open mind. After all, Burgerfuel promises gourmet burgers.

There are 9 beef burgers on the menu and a range of chicken and vege burgers to choose from. I had concerns about a burger with mango, but I decided on the Bastard.

While waiting for the burger, we worked out what the “Doofer” was all about. We were told that the burgers are quite big, so the cardboard Doofer goes around the end of the burger to keep the contents from falling out. They weren’t wrong! The Bastard was huge. It should be called the fat bastard!

With burger and doofer in hand, I started to plough my way through the Bastard. On first bite, the avocado, aioli, mango and beetroot combined for a sweet and interesting flavour. It wasn’t long before I hit the beef patty. I’d be surprised if the patty was made fresh; it definitely tasted like it was a processed frozen job. It had a chewy texture and wasn’t great on flavour.

The further I got through the Bastard, the more I felt like a fat bastard. The initial sweet and interesting taste was now making me feel a little ill, and the beef patty was a poor excuse for meat.

Burgerfuel is a little like Hungry Jack’s on steroids. I don’t think we will be back to try the rest of the burgers.

If size mattered the Bastard would get a 5, but freshness, taste and quality count for a lot.

Fat Bastards score: 1

P.S. There was a competition in store to win a 1 month membership to Fitness First. Surprisingly, the entry box was empty. 



Pete says...


Today’s burger tour took us to Burgerfuel Newtown, where I decided to order the ‘Bastard’, which I hesitated because it had mango (very odd on a burger and secondly mango season in Autumn or is it canned mango???). 
Anyway, I proceeded with ordering the Bastard with the mango and no kidding within than 5 minutes it was on my table. 
The Bastard consisted of bacon, melted cheddar, mango, avocado, beetroot, tomato, lettuce, relish, aioli and 1/3 pound beef which made it a big burger. 
Unfortunately, the grounded beef patty (which they advertised as ‘Gourmet Beef’ was very ordinary and lacked taste, hence I could only stomach half my patty and yes I was right it was CANNED MANGO which tasted disgusting!!! The only good thing if you want to call it that, is that I managed to pick out the salad with relish and aioli which gave it some taste. 
Overall, very disappointed with the whole burger experience; it was nothing more than a fast food burger joint. 
Not worth $12.90 and definitely I wouldn’t go back.

Pete's score: 1

Marina had...

Bacon Backfire ($11.50)
Grilled chicken breast, bacon, brie, salad, relish, aioli, onion
The chicken lacked taste even though the brie and aioli combination was nice.

Lets just say, I will not be speeding back there anytime soon, even though it was conveniently located on King St.
Unfortunately the flavour stalled......BYO jumper leads
Marina's Score: 2.5/5












Kim says...


Bio Fuel


Sorry for the late review on this burger, I was away on leave and so didn’t really have the time to sit down & pen my thoughts to paper (or computer) – whatever. 

Anyways, I’m a bit mixed on this burger, on one hand I thought it was good on account of how filling it was and on the other hand a bit disappointed as it tasted pretty much like a hungry jacks burger…so very fast food tasting – it gives you that OOOOH I’M FAT guilty feeling after pigging out on junk food.
My burger wasn’t as bad as what the others were making theirs out to be, I mean I nearly finished off the burger – big as it was, so it couldn’t have been all that bad right?…or maybe it’s just because I’ve had too many other crap burgers to compare it too.
However, I won’t go back again anytime soon…or ever. But I still think it’s worth a try…just as an experience & for a group of friends to laugh over.

My score -3 out of 5
Until next time,
Xoxo
Kimzy

1 comment:

  1. Agree regarding Burger Fuel, their beef patties definitely taste like they're frozen, had it last week, it was horrible! Very disappointed, won't go back...

    ReplyDelete